CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Kauai: Day 4

This morning Maddy woke up early to eat again. We gave her a bottle at 4:30 am and then let her sleep with us until 7 am. I really hope she doesn't get too used to sleeping with us. I'm thinking that as long as we don't do it at home we should be okay. While we waited for everyone else to get up, Maddy had her first fresh banana. She of course loved it! I should have gotten a picture because she was a mess.

Anyway, today we had our big road trip to the North Shore to see the waves, which were apparently 15-20 ft. It takes about an hour and a half to reach the Napali Coast by highway around the island. The highway is a dead end there though. We took our time, making some stops along the way to sight see. Our first stop was in Kapaa for Starbucks and Jamba Juice. My mom and Wendy needed their lattes to wake up since they had to get out of bed this morning before 9 am.

Our next stop was the lighthouse, which was on the northeastern corner of the island. The scenery was breath-taking. The waves where crashing into the cliffs along the coast. We stayed and watched the waves and a few whales for about an hour. It was really hot though and it was getting close to lunch time so we wanted to keep driving to find a beach to park on to eat while watching the waves.

We found a great beach just outside of Hanalei (the place where Puff the Magic Dragon lives). The waves were huge. If you looked at the horizon off to the east shore near Princeville you could see it wasn't straight. The waves were so big you could see them on the horizon. It was crazy. We spent a few hours just watching and listening to the crashing waves and admiring a pair of brave surfers. Jason and I walked Mads along the beach for awhile and then found a stream where the water was moving away from the ocean. It was nice and sandy so we took Maddy over there to play. I thought I would get some pictures of Jason and Maddy so he took his sandals and Maddy's off and set them along the shore. A huge wave from the ocean must have pushed a bunch of water in the stream because the water rose quickly almost knocking Jason over with Maddy. Their sandals started floating away downstream, so I went running after them and got all wet. It was pretty comical.

We stopped at 2 more beaches before we reached the dead end at KeKe. There was a ton of damage there from the mud slides that occurred last winter, so it was a ton different than Jason and I remembered it from our honeymoon. We saw a cruise ship while we were there and I swear you could see it rocking slowly from the massive waves. Maddy was spoiled by Grandpa who shared some cherry and pineapple shaved ice with her. She just loved it although it got all over her clothes.

The trip back seemed long. My dad sat in the back with Jason and Maddy, since I was getting car sick. Maddy was over tired, so Grandpa tried singing to put her to sleep but it didn't work so good. She just didn't want to miss a thing. When we got home she stayed up until 9 pm playing on the coffee table, talking and pulling everything off the table.

0 comments: