5 years ago
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
First Visit to the Dentist
Maddy had her first dental visit today. I took her to a pediatric dentist in Ann Arbor, hoping that might be better since they are used to dealing with kids. Well...it was traumatic...both for her and me. She screamed louder than I can remember her ever screaming. She was on my lap laying back on the dentist's lap, while the dentist tried cleaning her teeth. She was kicking and kneeing me (and her baby sister) and I had to hold her arms and shoulders down while she tried to get out of my hold. She was crying so hard, her hair was soaked by the time she was done (which was only 5 minutes). After they polished her teeth they let her sit up and asked if she wanted some water to drink. She said yes but she was shaking so bad she couldn't hold the cup. I helped her out and asked her why she was crying. She said she was scared. I felt so bad...not only for her, but for the dentist. I apologized to Dr. Fontes, even though I'm sure she deals with that everyday. She was great with Maddy despite it all... explained all the lights, gloves, face mask, and instruments to Maddy before doing anything. Apparently that wasn't enough for my lil' miss Maddy. They said at her next appointment she would be old enough for a hygienist, but I asked if we could just try the dentist again. I've got an appointment in a few weeks, so I think I'll bring her with me again (I did that 6 months ago, but she must have forgotten) and hopefully watching mom get her teeth cleaned will help. I brought my camera thinking I could get a picture of her sitting in the dental chair all by herself, but clearly that didn't happen. I'll try again in 6 months.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Poor Maddy. You can tell her Rylee had her dentist appointment today and hated it too (or maybe you don't want to tell her that). I can see why the girls don't like it though. I'm 28 and still don't like going to the dentist. Tell Maddy we said hi and we miss her. Talk to you tomorrow!
XOXO
Post a Comment