CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 26, 2009

The Luge


So... I'm still trying to catch up from Christmas... its time to post the luge pictures. I have a video too but I haven't downloaded it from the camcorder yet so I'll have to do all the videos another time. Anyway, as I mentioned, my family tries to make a luge every year for the kids at Christmas. We've missed out the last few years due to inapt weather conditions. This year the weather was perfect. It took 7 guys, as well as my cousin, Elizabeth, a full day to make it. Not to mention a few extra hours every couple days for repairs and maintenance to keep the luge in working condition. My parents live on a hill overlooking a small spring-feed lake, so the set-up is perfect for a luge. You start at the top of the hill and wind down the hill making a few big turns and then shoot out onto the lake. It's so much fun and there is always a competition in our household so its important to see how far you can go out across the lake. The kids just love it, especially the older ones who go nuts on it. Its a bit fast and furious for the young ones, so we always have them double up with a parent or one of the older kids who know how to steer at the bottom. Controlling your sled at the landing on the lake is kinda tricky and needless to say we ended up with a lot of crusty snow burns by the end of the week. None of it stopped the kids though. I don't have a picture of the entire luge (duh, I never thought of that) but we have some of the kids on it. Enjoy!

Maddy and Daddy

Here they go!

Shooting out to the lake
(If you look on the top of the picture you can see some of the luge coming down and across the hill)

Grandpa and Izzy
(We had to make a new start because the other one was too steep)

My brother John and Jaelyn
(This picture shows the original start)

My brother-in-law John and little John V
(They held the record for most of the week)

Brooke and Izzy - OUT OF CONTROL

0 comments: